Sister Act, the musical version of the much loved 1992 film starring Whoopi Goldberg is at Milton Keynes Theatre this week.
It's a slick and well produced show which captures the joy and positivity of the movie with plenty of singing and dancing, although disappointingly, none of the songs from the movie feature in this show. Instead, there are a dozen original songs including the rousing title song, all with a gospel flavour and performed with a live orchestra.
Expect bright, colourful costumes, simple staging and plenty of fabulousness, baby!
Birds of a Feather star Leslie Joseph leads the cast as Mother Superior bringing her comic skills to the role and showing her human side as she transitions from the outrages authority figure to begrudging fan, and Sandra Martin plays the Whoopi Goldberg character Deloris with a large portion of fabulousness and bringing her own spin to the role, although it's disappointing that the brilliant Beverley Knight hasn't come with the cast on tour.
There are also some excellent performances to the supporting cast, especially Lizzie Bea as Sister Mary Robert whose anthemic performance of “The Life I Never Led” stole the show, and the trio of comedic henchmen played by Damian Buhagiar, Tom Hopcroft and Bradley Judge.
The show is billed as a 'divine musical comedy' and certainly ticks all the boxes with the audience on their feet at the end of a great night out.
- Sister Act. Lesley Joseph, Sandra Marvin and Lizzie Bea
- SISTER ACT. Sandra Marvin _Deloris Van Cartier_. Photo by Manuel Harlan
- SISTER ACT. Lesley Joseph _Sister Mary Lazarus_, Sandra Marvin _Deloris Van Cartier_, Keala Settle _Sister Mary Patrick_ and Company. Photo by Manuel Harlan
- SISTER ACT. Graham Macduff _Monsignor O_Hara_. Photo by Manuel Harlan
- 8. SISTER ACT. The Company. Photo Manuel Harlan
- 4. SISTER ACT. Lizzie Bea _Sister Mary Robert_. Photo Manuel Harlan
- 3. SISTER ACT. The Company. Photo Manuel Harlan
- 2. SISTER ACT. The Company. Photo Manuel Harlan
1 of 8